Monday, May 24, 2010

Universal Life Church

Hello,
The last few weeks have been pretty crazy here at the Seminary. For those of you who have been wondering, our mailing program has been non-functioning. When I did a simple 'upgrade', half of my newsletter database got eaten, which explains why a lot of you have gotten either empty or incomplete mailings. I do apologize about that and I'm working to fix it. That also meant that the ordinations weren't accepting anything new, nor were the Seminary Applications or Newsletter sign-ups working. All in all, very stressful. I have been wanting to get this mailing out for close to two weeks. I have some exciting things to report.
THE NEW BOOK, More Weddings, Funerals and Rites of Passage, is HERE! - Because of the delay in getting this out, those of you who still want to get it at the discounted price may do so for another few days. We're still working on getting the first pre-orders for the book out the door, so during that time, you can still get it at the $19.95 price. After that, it will be $29.95. More Weddings, Funerals and Rites
Those of you who have ordered before got the notice about a week ago that it had arrived. If you got the notice more than once, I apologize. My fault totally. I thought the program wasn't running because it was just sort of spinning and looking at me, so I canceled and sent it again. Just my luck, it was working great. :)
The book came out so beautiful! It has a hardbound, black cover with silver writing. I'm bursting with pride. The ceremonies included are really beautiful and I'm very grateful for all of you who submitted your wonderful work. Those listed in the book will be receiving their copies shortly, if you haven't already. There are a few people who had submitted material for the book and I'd told them it was accepted, then they didn't get in. For those people, I wish to apologize again. I had a computer crash some time ago and I lost a lot. I thought I'd posted that enough to let people know to re-submit, but for some, it was just too late.
"I got the book today.  What an excellent job.  Everyone involved should be applauded for their contributions.  For anyone sitting on the fence wondering if they should buy this book I say jump."
--Rev. Sally Christie
"I just wanted to thank you SO much for sending me the book.  It was so exciting for me to see something that I wrote published in a book :)  To be honest since I became ordained I have had a horrible fear of speaking in front of a crowd, but now I feel like a "real" minister, and I have agreed to perform 2 weddings, even though I wrote a funeral ceremony for the book :).  I owe that confidence to you.  I can't thank you enough, and the book looks beautiful!  Take care. "
--Rev. Keri R. Charon
 
In the book are also Divorce Ceremonies, Baptisms, Baby Namings, House Blessings, Funeral Ceremonies, Pet Funerals; a general one, one for a dog, one for a goldfish, and a lot more. There are blessings for boats, a Quincinera ceremony and other interesting ceremonies. As a minister, it's great to be prepared. With this book, along with its companion, you'll have everything you could possibly need.
For just a few days more, we are continuing to offer the book at the deeply discounted pre-sale price. The cost of printing is astronomical, so we're offering you a chance for a discount while also helping us cover the cost of getting the book printed. You can also get the first book at a discounted rate as well, to complete your collection. When you look to order the book, if you only want a copy of the second book, look at the options and change it to 'no thank you' and you'll just be charged for the one book. If you want a copy of the first ceremonies book, leave it saying 'discounted copy of first book' and you'll get that book for $19.95 as well.
Once this sale is done , this book will never again be offered at this price, so get it while you have a chance. Order it by mail now, if you need to save up for the book, so you'll at least have the book locked in at that price. You'll have a little time to save the money before the offer is withdrawn. You can send payment when you have it.
 
NEW PROJECT - Now that the new book is done, my mind is turning to new projects. I've been working on a new handbook for ministers. I have included in it a lot of stuff posted on the site (mostly from the training section), along with at least one sample ceremony for a wedding, funeral, baby-naming, etc. What other sorts of things would you like to see in it? I am making it partially because I know a lot of people don't have regular access to the internet and would like a hardbound copy of things. Please let me know your suggestions.
 
HQ DEGREE CARDS - Many of you have been ministers with the ULC for years and years and have received degrees from ULC Headquarters. One of our ministers had asked for a Dr. of Metaphysics card from us, even though he earned the degree from headquarters. I didn't feel right about that, so I asked the cardmaker if he could duplicate the degrees from headquarters onto a card. He has done a beautiful job. We have gotten a lot of the new degree cards posted. So far, we have quite a few done, which look stunning. This way, you can have a pocket credential to show people or just to have for yourself. Before we will send it, we do need to have some proof that you earned the degree from headquarters that you are wanting. Please follow up your request with a picture in an email.
HQ Degree Cards
(You'll notice too that we changed the path name to the store, so now it just says 'store' instead of all those other things. Much easier to fine.)
He also did a great job of duplicating the ordination credential onto a card as well. It's another option for getting an ID card showing your credentials of ministry.
Credential Cards
We are also offering our Seminary Membership Certificates at a big discount right now. We want you to be able to display your affiiliation proudly, so we have discounted the certificates to $10.
Seminary Membership Certificate
CHAPLAINCY COURSE - I've just had submitted to me a new chaplaincy course. It would be the first of a full program for people who wish to be chaplains. The Chaplaincy program will consist of this new course, along with several other required courses, including the Comparative Religion and the Spirit Quest. We haven't set the entire program yet, but when we do, we'll let you all know.
 
ORDINATION CEREMONY - I'm still interested in any more ordination ceremonies that you might have. I've posted the ones I've received, but I'm always interested in how different people do different ceremonies. Ordination Ceremony
Essays from the various programs are at: www.ulcseminaryprogram.blogspot.com.
PRE-MARITAL COUNSELING- This is a topic that several people have asked me about. We do offer a pre-marital counseling kit that is Christian-oriented, but we'd like to have some other options. If any of you have done any pre-marital counseling and have any forms, questionnaires, or other material you'd be willing to share with the other ministers, please send it to me so I can post it. Pre-Marital Counseling. I've had a few people send me info and I'll be posting them as time permits.
RSS FEED - The RSS feed is still of concern. I'm trying to figure out how to keep it updated by email. It's a WordPress blog. I can't make it work. Does anyone know how it works and can they help me set it up? That way I can keep it updated better. Thanks. The email address I send it to will only post the title of the posting and not the actual post itself. If I can get this fixed, the RSS feed will be kept much more updated. :)
PAYPAL - Paypal is now available through the church store. We finally got it integrated right. :)
If you have any questions, comments, concerns, etc. please feel free to ask. Oh, and if your name is, by chance, incorrect, it can easily be adjusted using the link at the bottom that says 'modify details':) Also, for those who have asked, there are still copies of the ULC book, The Many Faces of ULC available.
Last, but not least, I'll be on vacation, mostly away from the computer, from the 11th to the 25th of this month. Please be patient if you order a course since it'll take me a few days to get back online. Our orders will still be going out regularly, but the ID cards may take an extra couple of days, as our cardmaker is going for a short vacation as well.
Rev. Amy Long
Program Director,
www.ulcseminary.org

Visit Our Website |
ULC Seminary

4714 Careyback Ave.
Elk Grove, CA 95758
916-690-1682

No comments: